[lug] Config help needed with mailman and qmail

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Aug 11 15:39:14 MDT 2003

Michael Deck wrote:

> Sean, thanks. I tried that solution and it probably would have worked
> but I decided to upgrade to mailman 2.1 instead -- it seems to have good
> support for virtual domains.
>
> The thing that was hanging me up was that I was trying to have different
> kinds of domains on this system, some virtual and some not. From what
> I've been able to puzzle out, email to the virtual domain is handled by
> a vpopmail program running as GID=vchkpw whereas email to the real
> domain is handled by qmail running as GID=nofiles. AFAIK this is an
> intolerable situation for mailman -- no matter how you configure it, one
> of those is going to be wrong. (Correct me please if I'm wrong about
> this). Anyhow, I decided I didn't need the real domain name to be real,
> so I made it go virtual and moved all my lists to the virtual space.
> Then I rebuilt mailman with GID-vchkpw and it has been working fine.
>
> I wasn't sure if the lists.cleansoft.net approach would have had the
> same problem -- it seemed like it would.

Don't know if it helps or not, but on qmail systems if I needed virtual
domains I've always just treated all domains on the machine like they
were virtual.  That seemed to me to be cleaner in the long run than
having a mix.  Perhaps you could set up the non-virtual as a virtual on
the machine and things would work better?

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com