[lug] KRUD comments wanted

efm at tummy.com efm at tummy.com
Tue Aug 12 16:36:11 MDT 2003

Hi all,

We've been doing KRUD since Red Hat version 5, over 5 years now.

At that time many people were confined to slow dial-up lines if they had
any Internet connectivity at all.  Red Hat was releasing new versions
about twice a year, and didn't include some important tools such as SSH.

Debian was the only distribution doing download updates, and their package
retrieval tool was pretty rough.

So, Kevin Fenzi started doing his Kevin's Red Hat Uber Distribution (KRUD)
to solve the needs of:

   Getting a full, up-to-date distribution in the hands of people on a
   regular basis, who didn't have an easy, convenient, safe, effective
   way of getting an up-to-date distribution.

   We've also found tools that we really liked and included them in the
   base CD(s), such as lftp, openssh, and tools that we've written such
   as rebootonpanic and isinglass.

Many of the core reasons for doing KRUD, such as slow or non-existent
Internet connections have gone away over the last several years.

Some of the core reasons, such as an improved package selection are still
very relevant.

I'd like to hear from everyone who is interested in the future direction of
KRUD on the krud-users mailing list:

I'm interested in hearing what you want out of a distribution, what you
like about KRUD, what you don't like about KRUD, and anything else you'd
like to comment on.

To reassure everyone, we have no specific plans to stop doing KRUD or
KRUDserver anytime soon.

But, we'd like to be sure that the effort we put into doing KRUD is
solving a real problem for people.

And if it isn't, we'd like to know what the real problems are, so we can
put more effort into solving those, so that KRUD, and all the rest of the
work we do remains a valuable solution for real problems.

I look forward to hearing from all of you on the krudusers mailing list.
                            http://www.tummy.com/