[lug] IMAP spam filtering

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Aug 12 16:58:34 MDT 2003

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 08:44:16AM -0600, George Sexton wrote:
>I have been using BogoFilter with really good results

I used an early version of that and didn't get very good results.
Obviously, it's gotten better.

I mostly am relying on SpamAssassin these days:

   http://spamassassin.sf.net/

I combined it with something like TMDA where messages that SpamAssassin
tags get held in a special folder and a confirmation request gets sent
to the sender.  This way if your mail gets caught, you get immediate
feedback and can push it through the filter.

I used to try to just save the spam off and go through it every day
checking for non-spams.  They were so infrequent and I get so many
spams, that it was just not working.  Evelyn gets even more spam that I
do.  I get well around 300 per day.  Between the 3 of us using that
confirmation mechanism, it's holding 2400 messages a day.  On average
just under 1 per day gets confirmed.

Pretty amazing...

Sean
--
 <h3x> FreeBSD 4 does IPV6 by default now.
 <Warik> NT has stability, by default now.