[lug] KRUD comments wanted

efm at tummy.com efm at tummy.com
Tue Aug 12 17:13:54 MDT 2003

* On 2003-08-12 17:10 Peter Hutnick <peter-lists at hutnick.com> wrote:
> > Many of the core reasons for doing KRUD, such as slow or non-existent
> > Internet connections have gone away over the last several years.
> >
> > Some of the core reasons, such as an improved package selection are
> > still very relevant.
>
> I'm not a KRUD user, so I'm not going to post on that list . . . but as
> always, I'm more than happy to kick in my two cents here ;-)

I thought in the interest of keeping the LUG lists focused, we could talk
about it on the krudusers list. It's open for anyone who has an interest in
KRUD.

> IMO your analysis is on the money and intellectually honest.

Thank you!

> Consider Freshrpms (http://freshrpms.net/) as a model for the kind of
> thing that is still needed.  I recently had two very good experiences
> there.

We've been using Freshrpms quite a bit lately. It's a big part of the
reason why I wanted to check in to find out if people who are getting KRUD
are still happy with it, and that it still fills a need.

> 1. I wanted to switch to ALSA.  Took me less time to download, install,
> configure, and test the freshrpms than it would have just to compile from
> the tarballs.  (Not to mention realizing I needed a different kernel
> source RPM, then troubleshooting a suddenly non-functional NIC once I got
> the sound working.)
>
> 2. flew through the nightmarish dependencies of MythTV using their
> packages (including apt).  Totally refocused the project off of dependency
> hell and back onto cool TV stuff.  Nice.
>
> I find this infinitely less frustrating than trying to shoehorn some
> Mandrake Cooker RPM in.
>
> Maybe a simple way to say what I'm trying to say would be: a shift away
> from "more up to date (!) Red Hat than Red Hat" to "boutique RPMs, as easy
> as Red Hat's own RPMs."

Good ideas!

                            http://www.tummy.com/