[lug] OT: vnc

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Aug 13 17:02:11 MDT 2003

Peter Hutnick wrote:

> Hugh Brown said:
>
>>I am trying to use a linux box to connect to a windows machine running
>>XP Home.  I have installed TightVNC on the windows box and set it to run
>>as a service.  When I log in and set the password for vnc, I can
>>connect.  As soon as I log out of windows, I can no longer connect.
>>
>>Has anyone had this problem?
>

> This is normal operation of VNC on Win32.  (Unless you pay a bunch of
> extra money for a terminal server) Windows has no concept of multiple
> graphical logons.
>
> That is to say that on *NIX VNC /is/ an X server, and you can inherently
> have more than one.  On windows it simply redirects the "desktop", of
> which there is only one.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> -Peter

Right, but he's saying the VNC server no longer answers after he logs
out of that Windows desktop session.  That's not normal.  I can log off
of our VNC'ed Winderz boxen here and then connect back to them with VNC
later and log in again.  I think he's saying he can't.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
"When all else fails, play dead."