[lug] OT: vnc

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Wed Aug 13 18:05:09 MDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 19:08, Tkil wrote:

> Hugh> Walk back to my linux box, test the connection and everything is
> Hugh> happy.  I then walk back to the Windows box and log it out.  I
> Hugh> try to connect to Windows box again with vncviewer and I get the
> Hugh> Authentication Failed error message again.
>
> Hugh> I have tried both TightVNC and RealVNC and have gotten the same
> Hugh> results in both cases.
>
> I don't know if this will fix it, but at least RealVNC has a user
> password (used when the service is running by / for that user) and a
> "default" password.  The properties reachable from the systray icon
> are typicall those for the current user; to change the default (again,
> under RealVNC) you have to use Start -> Programs -> RealVNC -> VNC
> Server -> Show Default Properties (or similar).
>
> Changing the default password should allow you to access the login
> screen.

I've done some more testing and found that if a user is logged in under
WinXP, I can connect and all is normal.  If no one is logged in and I
try to start a new session, I get authentication failed.  Is this
peculiar to WinXP or just to my machine, i.e. has anyone used VNC
successfully with WinXP Home?

Hugh