[lug] colo at home info

Frank Whiteley techzone at greeleynet.com
Sun Aug 17 10:41:05 MDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nate Duehr" <nate at natetech.com>
To: <lug at lug.boulder.co.us>
Sent: Sunday, August 17, 2003 00:33
Subject: Re: [lug] colo at home info

> Frank Whiteley wrote:
>
> >>Then if you feel you were intentionally mislead by Qwest, make sure you
> >>let the PUC know.
> >
> > AFAIK, DSL is an unregulated service from Qwest and not under the purvue
of
> > the PUC, like your wireless phone.  Also, the FCC released the Baby
Bells
> > DSL services from the Telecommunications Act of 1996 (like they did for
the
> > cable companies by renaming their Internet offering "Information
Services"
> > rather that "Data communications", and which Congress is looking at, DSL
> > that is).  By deregulating, they reinforced the BB monopoly position in
the
> > area.
>
> 100% agreed, what I want to see happen is that they cannot REQUIRE that
> you take a regulated service because you ordered an unregulated one.
>
> Consumers should NOT be REQUIRED by Qwest to have Dial-Tone (regulated)
> on a circuit that delivers DSL (unregulated).
>
> --
However, that's not the way they engineered their DSL system and as you may
know, they don't offer it over Qwest facility provided to McLeod or other
CLECs.  It's their game and their rules, PUC can't touch it under current
policy.  Your alternative may be through an ISP offering New Edge Networks,
with no dial tone and none offered, and you may be able to add VOIP before
long.  It is more expensive, but it's also lower latency and SDSL.  A 768K
SDSL really rocks, both ways.

Frank Whiteley