[lug] Redhat Enterprise Linux

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Mon Aug 18 16:21:53 MDT 2003

On Monday 18 August 2003 15:58, Hugh Brown wrote:
> If you want a free OS to last several years on a stable server and have
> someone else do the packaging of the security/bug/errata fixes to the
> software installed, I believe it is time to switch to a new distro.  If
> you don't mind following the security releases, taking the redhat srpms,
> patching them yourself, rebuilding them, etc., then you can continue to
> use Redhat or Suse or any other "consumer" versioned distro.

That answers my question, thanks, Hugh.  The only remaining question is
whether to switch distros proactively or take the "wait and see" approach.
I'm leaning towards the latter, figuring worst case, I can always compile a
newer package with a security fix to tide me over while I build a replacement
server using a new distro.