[lug] Redhat Enterprise Linux

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Aug 18 16:33:31 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 18:21, John Hernandez wrote:
> On Monday 18 August 2003 15:58, Hugh Brown wrote:
> > If you want a free OS to last several years on a stable server and have
> > someone else do the packaging of the security/bug/errata fixes to the
> > software installed, I believe it is time to switch to a new distro.  If
> > you don't mind following the security releases, taking the redhat srpms,
> > patching them yourself, rebuilding them, etc., then you can continue to
> > use Redhat or Suse or any other "consumer" versioned distro.
>
> That answers my question, thanks, Hugh.  The only remaining question is
> whether to switch distros proactively or take the "wait and see" approach.
> I'm leaning towards the latter, figuring worst case, I can always compile a
> newer package with a security fix to tide me over while I build a replacement
> server using a new distro.

Right now I have most of the servers at 8.0 or 9 (at least I am
transitioning to new hardware and they will have one or the other).  I
haven't decided what I am going to do.  I will probably do rpm rebuild
once 8 is obsolete for the servers.  For the workstations, I may just
deal with the churn and upgrade a lot.

I've been thinking about playing with Debian more and more.

Hugh