[lug] Redhat Enterprise Linux

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Tue Aug 19 08:41:38 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 20:34, Peter Hutnick wrote:
> Joseph McDonald said:
>
> > I wonder if using APT (http://apt.freshrpms.net/) and doing
> > dist-upgrades would keep a system current. Does anyone know how
> > packaging works behind the scenes at freshrpms.net?
>
> The fine folks at FreshRPMs bring us add-on packages.  Things that Red Hat
> doesn't provide.  See http://shrike.freshrpms.net/

Note, Matthias also provides the Red Hat updates as well
(ayo.freshrpms.net mirrors the updates directory).  So, you can use
apt-get to keep just about everything current (I usually let up2date
handle kernel upgrades).

You can also use a Rawhide repository and Matthew Hall has a
bleeding-edge GNOME repository I use.

This is also why I never run dist-upgrade.  My system is a pretty mixed
and a dist-upgrade would break it.  But, if you never use the FreshRPMs
or other non-standard packages, you could use dist-upgrade as up2date.

Matt
--
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony, anyway?  I mean,
all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good