[lug] Redhat Enterprise Linux

John Hernandez John.Hernandez at noaa.gov
Wed Aug 20 17:19:23 MDT 2003

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 08:41, The Matt wrote:
> This is also why I never run dist-upgrade.  My system is a pretty mixed
> and a dist-upgrade would break it.  But, if you never use the FreshRPMs
> or other non-standard packages, you could use dist-upgrade as up2date.

I also have RPMs from various repositories (KDE3, Freshrpms, RH updates), and
I run dist-upgrade periodically with no ill effects.  The most common reason
that I've encountered for packages to be "held back" by 'apt-get upgrade'
(and thus require a dist-upgrade) is that an update to some installed
software has an additional dependency that the old version did not have.