[lug] CD rip/encode

Peter Hutnick peter-lists at hutnick.com
Mon Aug 25 19:01:07 MDT 2003

Timothy C. Klein said:
> XCDRoast will copy your CDs for you, and so will gcombust.  That is
> fairly easy.  I know XCDRoast has a paranoia option, I am not so sure
> about gcombust.

That's what I have been using.  Few more clicks than I really want, and
doesn't integrate at all with re-encoding.

Looks more and more like I will be ripping every CD twice :-(

> For the ogg vorbis files, I wrote a perl script to do what you ask.  It
> seems like tools were available to do it, but they didn't name stuff
> like I wanted.  Mine did MP3, but switching it to ogg vorbis would be
> fairly easy.

There seems to be some lag in getting support for the --quality switch to
oggenc.  But converting a script that calls an MP3 encoder to vorbis using
the --quality switch wouldn't be any harder than converting it to vorbis
using the various bitrate switches.

I'd love to see your code to see how you go about getting the CDDB info
and build filenames out of it . . .

-Peter