[lug] Help mounting a wierd cd-rom

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Aug 30 18:14:48 MDT 2003

* Paul E Condon (pecondon at peakpeak.com) wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 04:16:58PM -0600, Luke P wrote:
> > Another idea I got was (probably on the Mac) use a cd-writer program to
> > import the disc sessions (like if you were using a multi-session disc) then
> > write them (this time with the closed option) to another cd-r (not your
> > original, wouldn't want to ruin that yet.
> >  If that doesn't work, and you really need something like an XP machine with
> > a cd writer, maybe stop by a CompUSA and "try-out" one of their shelf demos,
> > or maybe go to a library or a Kinko's (just a guess).
> >  Hope that helps,
> >  -Luke
>
> I tried to read the CD on my wife's iMac. I got an alert message that the
> data on the CD was not a standard Mac format, and offered to buttons:
> 'ignore' and 'eject'. I tried 'ignore'. The alert box went away, and the
> iMac behaved as if there was no disk in the reader, and I had no way to
> eject the disk because there was no icon to drag and drop on the trash can.
> Sometimes GUI interfaces are a real show stopper. I had to reboot the iMac
> to get the Alert box back and this time I chose 'eject'
>
> I didn't try poking around in the terminal connection to the BSD Unix that
> is hidden under Mac OS X. I'm much more familiar with Linux, and also get
> much better help on the internet.
>
> I'll try going over to CompUSA when the rain stops.
>
> Thanks.

I'm sure it is just a UDF file system.  That is supported under Linux, it
just may require a kernel recompile.  It is under:

File-Systems-->UDF File System Support (read only)

in make menuconfig for the kernel.  The help says this:

  ? CONFIG_UDF_FS:                                                          ?
  ?                                                                         ?
  ? This is the new file system used on some CD-ROMs and DVDs. Say Y if     ?
  ? you intend to mount DVD discs or CDRW's written in packet mode, or      ?
  ? if written to by other UDF utilities, such as DirectCD. This UDF        ?
  ? file system support is read-only. If you want to write to UDF           ?
  ? file systems on some media, you need to say Y to "UDF read-write        ?
  ? support" below in addition. Please read                                 ?
  ? Documentation/filesystems/udf.txt.                                      ?
  ?                                                                         ?
  ? This file system support is also available as a module ( = code         ?
  ? which can be inserted in and removed from the running kernel            ?
  ? whenever you want). The module is called udf.o. If you want to          ?
  ? compile it as a module, say M here and read                             ?
  ? Documentation/modules.txt.                                              ?
  ? If unsure, say N.

That sures seems easier than a trip to CompUSA. :-)

Try: (probably as root)

mount -t UDF /path-to-cdrom /path-to-mount-point.

If it compains about not knowing UDF, recompile it into your kernel.
Then that should work.

Tim