[lug] Good Linux PDA

Rob Nagler nagler at bivio.biz
Tue Sep 2 10:03:54 MDT 2003

> I am looking at the Zaurus SL-C700 and it fits the bill somewhat, but
> the keyboard may be overkill.

I have an SL-5500, and I'm happy with it.   Here are some notes:

To get started, I had to use the Win desktop tool with ROM version
3.10, because you can't use USB ethernet any more, unfortunately.

To configure a LinkSys WCF-12, you have to edit some config in /etc.
If I didn't have to do that, it would have worked fine.

I did manage to hose it to the point of having to reload it.  The file
system was corrupted when I powered it off at boot.  Since then, I
haven't had any problems.  It hasn't been rebooted in months.  I did
notice that uptime seems to be confused:

  4:12pm  up  8:51, load average: 3.12, 3.24, 3.16

The keyboard is not very useful to me, because it doesn't have ESC or
Control.  I had to load sshd in order to edit files easily.

> We will be running a custom application that could run side by side with
> the standard faire, but preferbly single function of our app. Your
> thoughts are appreciated.

The community support for a stock Zaurus seems somewhat thin to me.
openzaurus.sourceforge.net seems to be going strong.

One caveat: I bought my Zaurus on ebay, because it was a cheap WiFi
stereo controller.  I only use it to control my SliMP3, which it does
very nicely. :-)

Rob