[lug] Understanding User Quotas

Bill Jorgensen jorg at sysmgrs.com
Fri Sep 19 18:21:34 MDT 2003

On Fri, 19 Sep 2003, Joseph McDonald wrote:

> If I look in a users directory with du, I get the following:
>
>    [root at ranger ]# du -sk ~nemo
>    2154100 /home/nemo
>
> Using repquota, I get something different:
>
>    [root at ranger ]# repquota -a | grep nemo
>    nemo      -- 1115460 1200000 1500000           8341     0     0
>
> Why is usage being reported as 2154100 w/ du and 1115460 w/
> repquota? Thanks.

I have had quotas grab me before. If you implement quotas on a fs
for users after they have had access to the file system you will
see differences.

It has been quite a while since I have had to manipulate quotas,
but I thought there was a flag with quotaon that would include all
the previous disk that a particular user/group had used. That would
then be considered a portion of their respective disk quota. Sorry
for the fog, but that is all I can remember off the top of my head.

Later,

Bill