[lug] Fedora *MEETS* KRUD comments wanted

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 25 14:10:54 MDT 2003

Paul E Condon wrote:

> On the really plus side for Debian: it supports many more hardware
> platforms than RH. Some day you may want/need to migrate to a non-i86
> platform. The transistion will be much easier for a Debian user than
> for a user of a platform specific distribution.

This "feature" I really like.  Took an old slow Sun box, loaded Debian,
copied user dirs/mail spools, copied the exact configuration files off
of the i386 box into the same locations, rebooted it, and it "just
worked".

Did a 'dpkg --get-selections > packages' on the i386 and then looked at
it, removed kernel and other i386 specific stuff, did a 'dpkg
--set-selections < packagefile' on the Sun box... done.  Everything
installed beautifully.

Migrated a bunch of services at home off of one of my faster i386 boxes
and got it back for more useful things, and now those services run on
good old solid Sun hardware, slower -- but seemingly plenty stable now
for a few months.

All on an old junk Sun Ultrasparc machine that no one wanted for Solaris
because it would be painfully slow.  (Sun Ultra 1)  :-)

Nate, nate at natetech.com