[lug] Problems migrating from Samba 2.x to 3.x

Nick Golder purenrg at hiveportal.net
Wed Oct 22 08:49:33 MDT 2003

On 2003-10-21 18:52 -0600, David Anselmi wrote:
> Bear Giles wrote:
> >Has anyone else migrated from Samba 2.x to 3.x?  My Windows box could
> >authenticate to 2.x, but not 3.x, and that's a problem when you
> >installed Office to the Samba drive.
>
> I did this, had the same problem.  Wasn't too hard to fix, but I don't
> have the config handy.  I remember something about the domain admin
> group param going away (maybe samba wouldn't start with that in the
> config?) and 3.x providing unicode support.  You can read through this
> for more details:
>
> http://us1.samba.org/samba/devel/docs/html/Samba-HOWTO-Collection.html#migration
>
> Do you get any errors in the samba logs?  What does the client say when
> the login fails (I assume your samba box is a PDC)?

Remember that some of the PDC functionality (if not all) went away in
favor of Active Directory support (which in my opinion is FAR better).
I just wish the Kerberos implementation wasn't so hosed on the Windows
side.  Keep some semblance of MIT's or even Heimdal would have been
nice.  But that is a dead horse I have beat sufficiently else where.

On a side bar, I have in the past gotten Win2000 boxes authenticating
against a GNU/Linux Kerberos server.

> If you don't get any better answers soon I can check the config I used.
>
> Dave

-Nick Golder
http://www.hiveportal.net