[lug] Local vendor for SUSE 9.0?

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Fri Oct 31 16:00:08 MST 2003

Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
> Two words of caution:
>
> Many of the CompUSA employees don't know much about computers and may
> not even know what Linux is ;)
>
> SuSE 9.0 is a very nice upgrade with lots of nifty new features and
> hardware support.  However, I did find a bug when upgrading systems:
>
> Certain user settings that are stored in the .xxx files get kde upset
> and can even wreck the file system.  I had to do an fsck (even on
> reiser) on two of the systems I upgraded so far.  I still don't know
> what exactly brings this about - but be careful and backup your user
> data before the upgrade.

We purchased a copy from SoftPro.  Curiously enough, our first install
attempt is failing.  Just a hunch, but I think it may not like the
onboard Adaptec SCSI of this Dell machine.  After choosing one of the
install options, e.g. Install with ACPI Disabled, we get an installation
fails message.  For kicks I tried on another machine and the install
sailed along fine.  I think I'll pick it up Monday.

Cheers,
Gary