[lug] RH9 okay - GNOME 2 not - my yearly bitch about upgrading.

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Nov 6 13:53:26 MST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-30 at 23:04, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> Note - I'm just blowing off steam into the ether.  Be gentle when you
> thrash me with the wet noodles.
>
> I spent a little over a day bringing up RH9 from a fresh install over
> RH7.3.  It was pretty straight forward.  I had a minor hickup getting my
> network cards properly ordered, but that didn't take long.  The server
> side of things is very clean.  Even firewalling went quickly, which was
> one of my bigger concerns since I'm not real up to date on dealing with
> that bit of configuration.
>
> GNOME 2, on the other hand, has taken days.
>
> In GNOME 1.4 they had "desktop_guide.applet", which was their default
> pager.  It's a GNOME applet, not a sawfish one. It was great - multiple
> desktops with multiple pages per desktop.  I was able to open my
> XNotesPlus application and have XNotes on a single desktop spread across
> 8 different pages.

This was one of my favorite options in gnome 1.4.  When I switched a
while ago, I went searching and found that this was a new feature.  KDE
came close enough for my needs and I've switched to that.

> Along comes GNOME 2.  Wave b'bye to "desktop_guide.applet" and say hello
> to the braindead "Workspace Switcher".  Not only does it not have
> multiple pages per workspace, but I can't spread an applications windows
> across workspaces and have them remain there past the current session.
> ARRGGGHHH!!!!  The blows the whole premise of having sticky notes spread
> across my virtual screen space.

I feel your pain.  I was pretty irritated too.

> 5. My one beef with RH9:  LANG=C.  "Nuff said, since its easy to fix.

the other one is the system font that wigs out various man pages.

> I remember I used to think getting a clean, professional interface on
> Unix was going to be a good thing and GNOME (and KDE, which fairs no
> better for me) was a good idea.  There are times I feel I should have
> stuck to startx, FVWM and elm.

those were the days.