[lug] Package woes with RHEL

Neil Doane caine at antediluvian.org
Sat Nov 8 10:27:02 MST 2003

So I guess Gnumeric, amoung other things, doesn't come with RHEL WS 3.  I
guess I should have expected a gross initial shortage of packages for RHEL
3.0.  For ES, it is probably not as big a deal, but workstations tend to
need a lot of extra user apps like this and I'm finding that the main pain
I'm experience with WS is that in order to install something like Gnumeric,
I'd have to either rebuild a Gnumeric package from a source RPM (which I
haven't been able to successfully do yet) or do alot of compiling from source
for libraries and such that don't have RHEL packages yet and pretty much break
the package system, as the RH9 rpms don't seem to work and none exist for
RHEL 3.0 yet..  I know some folks have got to be making RHEL rpm rebuild trees
for RH9 software somewhere, does anyone have URLs to any of these?

Neil