[lug] Linux NFS server, Solaris client

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Fri Nov 21 13:26:46 MST 2003

Lots of things to check.

Also check and make sure it's not something silly like iptables blocking
it (iptables -L) on the linux side of things, and put the machines in
each other's host files as a test also... (and on the Solaris box, make
sure /etc/nsswitch.conf isn't dorked up... that's pretty common if
someone didn't check it).  If I remember correctly something in one of
the RedHat implementations needed the hosts to reverse resolve as well
as forward too... hmm, that was a while ago -- they say the first thing
to go is memory... maybe I can get some error-corrected RAM for my head
someday.

I also recently ran into some interesting weird errors with soft mounts
between a Linux box and a NetApp and found some rather enlightening
stuff on kernel.org about how little the current NFS maintainer cares
about soft mounts working properly in later 2.4 kernels... sigh...
something along the lines of "I told you guys to just use hard mounts!"
in one of his posts.  Lovely.  Ohhhhhh well... the errors I had were
after the mount was up and working, though... I/O errors.  Ick.

Make sure you're restarting both the portmapper and the nfsd on the
linux side of things when you make changes if your distro's nfs scripts
don't do that for you... not always necessary, but have seen it help in
certain cases where things are just generally confused on the linux box.

I'm just adding to your pile of things to check, pretty much agreed with
all the other posts... lots of stuff could be wrong.  You need a hint
from the log files at this point.

Nate, nate at natetech.com