[lug] video card crisis

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Nov 29 13:22:24 MST 2003

This email failed to go through already, here it is again.

My video card is dying as I type this, and old GeForce I DDR. I like the
OpenGL drivers for this, and the lack of difficulties in configuring it
for OpenGL. On the other hand, I'm pretty broke. I'm looking at used
video cards, and hoping I can get one before this machine dies
completely. What comes up in used cards for about $20 is the GeForce
FX5600 card series, which is probably better performance than the card
that is dying. I believe it is based on the NV31 core, and likely it
works in linux with the same X11 drivers as the old GeForce I DDR (not
sure if the AGP drivers would need to change though...unlikely).

Does anyone here have any experience with an FX5600 series GeForce card
on Linux? I'm digging around for info now, but I have about 12 hours to
decide, I need all the help I can get to know if this card works well
with Linux. Any info at all would be good...anyone here know if the
FX5600 series GeForce cards work ok? I have ordinary monitor, I don't
need DVI (thank god it wasn't the monitor dying). Particular brands
available are Winfast, Asylum, and LeadTek. Anyone with any comment on
any of the brands or of the chipset?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net
"fading fast"

PS: I'm also interested in knowing who here has had good/bad luck with
other "FX" series or "MX" series GeForce Cards on linux.