[lug] Linux Thin Clients

Daniel Miller dan.miller at usu.edu
Mon Dec 15 17:43:12 MST 2003

> BLUGers,
>     I'm looking to transform about 200 some odd Dell GXI
>     model PC's
> into thin clients to connect to a Windows Terminal Server.
>  I've seen
> various linux based solutions that are appealing.  I'm
> wondering if any of you have experience with this type of
> setup and might offer any suggestions. The aim is to do
> this transformation without having to purchse a bunch of
> software licenses.  The GXI's are basically Pentium 133 or
> 166 machines with a max of 32MB of ram and maybe 2GB
> HDD's.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks
> Matt

I recommend looking into NoMachines client.  Its freely
available under the GPL.  The client supports RDP, VNC, and
the X11.  Their website can be found at www.nomachine.com.

IIRC rdesktop was the first client for Windows Terminal
Services.  It can be found at rdesktop.sourceforge.net.  I
have also had success with tsclient and grdesktop.

My recommendation is to customize a morphix or knoppix cd
that is very stripped down as to only include what is
basically needed for X and whatever client you choose to go
with.  I recommend making the users only use the Windows
Terminal Services and nothing local.

Just my opinions and recommendations.

Good Luck

Daniel Miller