[lug] Question on allowable posts to BLUG

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Dec 20 16:40:45 MST 2003

On Friday 19 December 2003 09:41 am, Ferdinand Schmid wrote:
> Don't shoot the messenger.  I do not think that every Microsoft
> employee is
> bad.  Most people in the workforce need to feed a family, pay rent,
> ... And
> a Microsoft job helps pay the bills.

Microsoft (from the top down, and in the press) has made it clear that
their corporate position is dead-set against supporting Linux in any
fashion.  I would find allowing any Microsoft employee (even those who
need to feed their families, or whatever -- that's not our problem) any
assistance from a group dedicated to Linux support and development to
be highly distasteful.

Stick to the high ground -- Microsoft is no friend of Linux, therefore
by unfortunate consequence, or fate, or just a poor career choice, this
poor Microsoftie will just have to find his help elsewhere.  This
person by his association with the company who has regularly attacked
Linux, deserves nothing of our time, unless he's interested in loading
Linux on a machine -- preferrably his work laptop.  We'll welcome him
to the next Installfest, eh?

Throughout history, there are a number of professions that were
supported by extortionist company owners or government leaders who
supported a lot of families and salaries over the years.  Those people
found other work and things to do with the tyrants were taken out of
power.

That said, in this case the noble course is fairly plain and obvious.
It is not our job to help this guy pay his bills in any fashion, for
that will help pay the bills of the people who regularly attack those
who work on the thing we're all here to enjoy.

"We are not interested in assisting you at this time."  Done.  Next.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com