[lug] DVD Burner Recommendations

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Tue Dec 23 16:21:43 MST 2003

Steve asked:

> I'm looking for an internal DVD burner ... preferably fast
> and reliable.  Pricing isn't as important as reliability.
> Any recommendations?

Speaking from experience, the Memorex burner I had many moons ago wasn't
very robust and managed to die a few weeks after the one-year warranty
expired.  Following that I used several HP models with varying degrees
of success.  My latest upgrade-- really to get more speed, not because
my HP burner was dead-- was a Plextor and I've been very pleased with
it.  It works just fine with Linux, assuming you're using ide-scsi
drivers.

According to cdrecord:

1,0,0   100) 'PLEXTOR ' 'CD-R   PX-W5224A' '1.01' Removable CD-ROM

Lately I've seen CD burners for $20 at Office Depot and other fine
retailers, but I use mine for critical data backups and there's no way
I'd want to trust that function to a white-label brand (you mentioned
CompUSA, for example).  On the other hand, if you're just burning a
bunch of music CD's it's probably not as big a deal.  YMMV.

HTH,
Jeff