[lug] Tape backup error

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Dec 28 19:39:47 MST 2003

On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 19:29, Bob Collins wrote:
> I want to backup across my local area network.  I am testing by
> backing up to a file instead of tape.
>
> I can telnet or ftp to linux.local.  If I try:
>
> tar -cvf linux.local:/home/bob/bkup.tar /etc
>
> I get:
>
> tar: linux.local:/home/bob/bkup.tar: Cannot open: Input/output error
>
> What port does tar use.  I thought it might be the ftp or the telnet
> port.  I can find only that the default port is used.  Where can I find
> out about this?  Or am I completely in the dark?
>
> As always all help appreciated.

Hi Bob,

I'm pretty certain that tar is completely network un-aware.  That is,
tar can only access files that are either local or are provided locally
through a file-system (eg. NFS, Samba, AFS, etc.) mechanism.

So have you tried using Samba to make the "Windows shares" on your other
machines accessible to your Linux box?  That would probably be the
easiest route for backups since tar could then treat the files on other
machines as if they existed locally.

good luck,
Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com