[lug] DVD Burner Recommendations

Gary Hodges Gary.Hodges at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 29 10:01:20 MST 2003

Steve Sullivan wrote:

>I'm looking for an internal DVD burner ... preferably fast
>and reliable.  Pricing isn't as important as reliability.
>Any recommendations?
>
>I was at Compusa today ... whew.  So many brands - HP, Sony, Buslink,
>Memorex, Sony, TDK, and Compusa's interal brand, Hival.
>And they all said "windows only".  :-(
>Well, hopefully there are Linux drivers as well.

I have a Sony DRU-510A installed, and what little I have used it, it has
worked fine.  One curious thing occurred a couple of weeks ago, but I
don't think it was an issue with the Sony.  I was making a copy of a DVD
with K3b, and while the disk was being copied as an image to the hard
drive, my computer ground to a crawl.  I couldn't do any work.  It took
minutes to open a Mozilla Mail window, and wasn't usable when it finally
did open.  I forget what the system load went up to, but it was high.
Maybe 6 or 7.  My computer is pretty fast.  Athlon XP 2800+, full SCSI
(except the Sony DVD), 512 MB RAM.  Maybe it is because the Sony is the
only IDE device in the system???  It seemed odd to me that merely
copying a DVD to a disk image on a hard drive would suck the system
resources almost dry.  During the actual write process I could work on
the computer.

Gary