[lug] Tape backup error

bdoctor at ps-ax.com bdoctor at ps-ax.com
Mon Dec 29 11:10:16 MST 2003

Try this:

cd /etc && tar cvf -. | (ssh linux.local; cd <your archive dir> && tar xfBp -)

I suppose you could use telnet - I've never done that.  Entering a password
won't break the process, just pause it until you are authenticated.  AFAIK,
tar is indeed network unaware.  You may need to use sudo to get all of the
contents of /etc, depending upon what user you are.

-brad

> Thank you Ed,
>
> You have some good advice.  I am just trying to do a complete backup to
> tape so I can reformat my hard drive and put the files back.  I have a
> bad spot on my ReiserFS disk and I would like to re-size it.  I am
> thinking this is easiest way.
>
> Bob
>
> Ed Hill wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, 2003-12-28 at 19:29, Bob Collins wrote:
> > > I want to backup across my local area network.  I am testing by
> > > backing up to a file instead of tape.
> > >
> > > I can telnet or ftp to linux.local.  If I try:
> > >
> > > tar -cvf linux.local:/home/bob/bkup.tar /etc
> > >
> > > I get:
> > >
> > > tar: linux.local:/home/bob/bkup.tar: Cannot open: Input/output error
> > > tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
> > >
> > > What port does tar use.  I thought it might be the ftp or the telnet
> > > port.  I can find only that the default port is used.  Where can I find
> > > out about this?  Or am I completely in the dark?
> > >
> > > As always all help appreciated.
> >
> > Hi Bob,
> >
> > I'm pretty certain that tar is completely network un-aware.  That is,
> > tar can only access files that are either local or are provided locally
> > through a file-system (eg. NFS, Samba, AFS, etc.) mechanism.
> >
> > So have you tried using Samba to make the "Windows shares" on your other
> > machines accessible to your Linux box?  That would probably be the
> > easiest route for backups since tar could then treat the files on other
> > machines as if they existed locally.
> >
> > good luck,
> > Ed
> >
> > --
> > Edward H. Hill III, PhD
> > office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
> >             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
> > email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com
> > phone:   617-253-0098
> > fax:     617-253-4464