[lug] Tape backup error

Rob Riggs rob at pangalactic.org
Mon Dec 29 11:26:43 MST 2003

GNU tar can only write to remote tape devices, not files.  See
http://www.gnu.org/software/tar/manual/html_node/tar_128.html for more
info.  Note the use of rsh.  You will need to have an rsh server enabled
on the tape server.  Some of the examples already provided by other BLUG
member that use SSH instead are better (more secure) choices.

Googling for "GNU tar remote" will provide a lot of hints and howtos.

-Rob