[lug] xv with cron and screensaver

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Dec 31 09:48:54 MST 2003

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 04:52:20PM -0700, Gary Hodges wrote:
>space bar the xv window(s) disappear.  I had this problem back with
>RH7.2 and it was solved by putting the following line in my Perl script:

I'm wondering if your problem is related to the x authentication.  Just
setting the display is no longer enough to allow you to access the X
display.  You have to have a magic cookie to give to the X server to
prove you're allowed to access the X server.

I'm not familiar with exactly how this would look to fix your problem,
though.  You'll probably need to read up on it.

What I do for similar sorts of jobs, is to write a small daemon that
runs under my normal X startup, which waits for either a signal from the
cron job, or for a file to exist, and once that trigger is found, will
run the rest of the job.

I do that, for example, with a job that displays a bar-graph of download
progress when I insert my camera's CF card.  There's a job in the PCMCIA
scripts that detects the card insertion and starts copying the pictures.
I have a daemon that watches for "/mnt/pics" to be mounted, and when it
does it displays the bar graph based on how empty the file-system is.

Sean
--
 "Having computers is a lot like having kids, except it's not as much of a
 problem if they die while you're away."  -- Sean Reifschneider, 1997