[lug] FRPythoneers Meeting -- January 19, 2004

Jeffery D. Collins jcollins_boulder at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 14 08:53:53 MST 2004

January 19, 2004, 7:00PM at Level 3 Communications in Broomfield, CO.

Title:  Jython, the best of both worlds or the lowest common denominator
Author:  Demian L. Neidetcher

Abstract:
Python is a language that this choir knows has many great features.
Admittedly, Java has some benefits that Python doesn't; it has great
momentum behind it and it has a good install base.

Jython allows us to take advantage of the usability and rapid
development of Python as well as being able to use popular Java class
libraries and take advantage of the popularity of the Java Virtual Machine.

I'd like to talk at a high level about where using Jython makes sense
and also discuss some caveats that Jython introduces.  I'll show how to
build Jython code with Ant (the Java build tool), some freebies that
Jython gives you when dealing with the Java APIs.  I'll also show a few
comparisons of functionally equivalent Java and Jython code.

Meeting Information - http://fr.co.us.pythoneers.org/meetings.html

Driving Directions -

 From US36, exit at the 96th Street exchange (also
marked Interlocken Blvd) and head south (towards the new Flatirons
Mall.)

Alternatively, if you are coming from the south and want to avoid the
construction on Hwy 36... come up Hwy 93, Indiana, or Wadsworth. Turn
onto Hwy 128 (east from 93 or Indiana, west from Wadsworth just before
36). Then turn north on 96th (not Interlocken) and continue below.

 From 96th Street turn west (or right - away from the Sun campus) onto
Eldorado Blvd.

The entrance to the conference room is in Building 2000. These doors
will be locked, so arrive shortly before 7pm to ensure entry. Proceed
upstairs to the second conference room on your right.

--
Jeffery Collins