[lug] any geforce4 ti series experience?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Thu Jan 15 21:02:50 MST 2004

The Matt wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 15:05, D. Stimits wrote:
>
> >The Matt wrote:
> >

> >>I'm guessing it should work.  The GeForce Ti series was for a while the
> >>best card for Linux (if you didn't mind the nvidia drivers).  I've never
> >>had a bad experience with 4200's.
> >>
> >>My main guess would be power, as the 4400 was just at the edge of the
> >>floppy-cable cards, if I remember.
> >>

> >This particular case/power supply/motherboard combo is capable of
> >powering some of the Wildcat cards...way beyond what a 4400 ti would
> >require. But this does help to know that the ti 4400 *should* work. I
> >can't find many AGP 4x ti 4400's, maybe it is time to look for 4200's
> >(well, hard to find for a price I can pay). In any case I am going to
> >avoid the LeadTek ti cards.
>

> At the moment, I think the 5200 might the one to get if you go retail.
> The 4200 has reached a point of scarcity in the new market:
>
> http://www.anandtech.com/guides/priceguide.html
>
> As such, the 4200 is around $100, while the 5200 is at about $70.  Now
> used, 4200s might be more available, but a quick grep of eBay shows most
> of those at $50-60.
>
> BUT, the 5200 is a floppy-cable card I think.  So, make sure you can do
> that.

I'm looking for AGP 4x slot, and I thought all of the FX series is 8x. I
know that they are supposed to be backwards compatible, but the
consensus seems to be that 8x in a 4x slot tends to generate extra heat
and limit life. I do want speed, but it is not something I would pay too
much for. The end of life for GeForce4 titanium products has left them
at a much lower price, and many are available in 4x. Unfortunately, my
last 2 LeadTek models are bad, and are also closeouts (no more in stock).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net