[lug] MythTV [WAS: any geforce4 ti series experience]

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Fri Jan 16 10:44:35 MST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 10:39, John Hernandez wrote:
> Nate Duehr wrote:
> > On Thursday, Jan 15, 2004, at 16:27 America/Denver, John Hernandez wrote:
> >> BTW, my experince with the Hauppague WinPVR 250 and MythTV has been
> >> good so far.  I used the ATrpms packages.  Anyone else tried building
> >> one of these?

I've done it from source.  In fact, I've built a Kickstart server to
build these systems.  My goal is to build (for high end home-theater
type customers) custom high-end servers running the MythTV backend that
will work with "lightweight" custom MythTV frontends built using
MiniMyth (bootable MythTV frontend) running on a Mini-ITX based system.
Hardware decoding on the backend with WinTV PVR 250 and hardware
decoding on the front end with the mITX.

The backend server portion is running using a custom kernel (to fix a
minor bug) and even supports a frontend on the same system using the IR
from the WinTV PVR 250.  Pretty nifty.  But I haven't started on the
front end, Mini-ITX box yet, though I have a case (a Indian style box
that has a British Colonial look) and the mITX board and external power
supply.  I just need time to put it all together.

> Not yet.  I would be VERY impressed if it didn't need at least a little
> manual tweaking and optimization.  Once my RH9 release goes unsupported
> (coming up in April), I will probably have a look at KnopMyth or Debian
> repositories.  For the time being, the ATrpms maintainer is doing a
> fantastic job of keeping fairly current (which is important at this
> active stage of the MythTV project.)

Those RPMs are nice but don't support a few items, which is why I roll
my own.  Off the top of my head I can't remember what all those things
are, but I do remember the kernel needed a hack to get proper (re:
complete) ivtv support for the WinTV PVR 250.  It's a real minor hack,
though (if I could just remember exactly what it was...).
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>