[lug] linux for centris 610 (mac)

The Matt thompsma at colorado.edu
Tue Jan 27 12:54:23 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 11:39, rm at fabula.de wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 08:58:15AM -0700, Neil Doane wrote:
> >
> > Have you looked at the Linux/m68k stuff?
> > http://www.linux-m68k.org/
>
> Hmm, has been quite a while since i used one, but isn't the centris a
> first generation PowerPC? M-68 Linux seems to be the wrong architecture then ;-)
> Centris was the consumer oriented box, what was the "real" Mac name? Was that a
> 6400? Or is it of the 61xx series (those are MkLinux only boxes, i fear).
> Have a look at http://penguinppc.org/projects/hw/pmac.shtml
>
>  Maybe you should contact YellowDog Linux -- they sell a Mac/PPC specific distro
>  (aren't they in northern Colorado?).

Nope, it looks like the Centris 610 had the 20 MHz M68LC040 (a half
speed 68040, if I recall).  Thus, not many distros can help out.  If you
can get a hold of a PPC upgrade card (about $50, I think), you could
then possibly run Gentoo/PPC or the like.  Probably not well, but...

Matt

--
I am a theoretical chemist.  Fear me!
 Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/