[lug] linux for centris 610 (mac)

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Wed Jan 28 03:01:49 MST 2004

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:54:23PM -0700, The Matt wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 11:39, rm at fabula.de wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 08:58:15AM -0700, Neil Doane wrote:
> > >
> > > Have you looked at the Linux/m68k stuff?
> > > http://www.linux-m68k.org/
> >
> > Hmm, has been quite a while since i used one, but isn't the centris a
> > first generation PowerPC? M-68 Linux seems to be the wrong architecture then ;-)
> > Centris was the consumer oriented box, what was the "real" Mac name? Was that a
> > 6400? Or is it of the 61xx series (those are MkLinux only boxes, i fear).
> > Have a look at http://penguinppc.org/projects/hw/pmac.shtml
> >
> >  Maybe you should contact YellowDog Linux -- they sell a Mac/PPC specific distro
> >  (aren't they in northern Colorado?).
>
> Nope, it looks like the Centris 610 had the 20 MHz M68LC040 (a half
> speed 68040, if I recall).

Yes, i borwsed through some of my old MacWorld issues when i cme home
yesterday evening <sigh!>

> Thus, not many distros can help out.  If you
> can get a hold of a PPC upgrade card (about $50, I think), you could
> then possibly run Gentoo/PPC or the like.  Probably not well, but...

Since support for the first generation Mac PPC is really bad (thanks to
the missing (Nu)Bus specs etc.) i'd suggest not to go this way. These
boxes are _neither_ CHP (Common Hardware Plattform) nor Open Firmware ...
It's possible to install M68k Linux on them (have it "running" on an
old Classic cube -cute ;-) but it's not the most convenient OS for these
boxes: the boot from ROM (by this time known as world's most expensive
hardware dongle) so you have to boot into OS 7.5 an then boot Linux frm
that.
Iff you go for the PPC upgrade i can offer an original MkLinux CD
(that's the Mach-Based microkernel Linux that was produced by Apple (sic!)
as a demo).

HTH RalfD