[lug] Performance Issues with syslog Shell Interface?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Feb 2 16:05:51 MST 2004

On Monday 02 February 2004 12:59 pm, George Sexton wrote:
> Unless you have a large amount of debugging code present it should not
> be much of a hit. After startup, only exceptions are logged to this
> file.

Agreed with George... we "catch" the developers releasing (or worse,
debugging on the production boxes) with lots of Java code that dumps
DEBUG messages and tomcat dutifully passes these along to the log file...

Turn off the debug's in the Java code, things get a whole lot quieter...
and faster if the box is at all I/O-bound.  Tomcat and Java are big
enough fat pigs on their own without having them writing megs (GIGS?) of
logs every hour.  ;-)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com