[lug] EETimes Article

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Wed Feb 11 11:51:38 MST 2004

* On 2004-02-11 11:17 J. Wayde Allen <wallen at village.org> wrote:

> As a community please take a look at the following:
>
>    http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20040202S0075

I think the article is based on an illogical argument.

The argument, as I take it is:
   Some people in the Linux community write evil viruses.

   Evil viruses are bad.

   Therefore the Linux community is bad for writing evil viruses.

So, we've got a category mistake (people who write evil viruses equal Linux
community). And a lost qualification ('some' gets lost).

This sort of poor reasoning is pretty common these days.

I think we'd all agree that writing viruses is a poor Public relations
strategy for Linux. I suspect the people who are writing them are,
being the anti-social types they must be, not terribly concerned with
the broader consequences of their actions.

But then, I knew that before I read the article.

                            http://www.tummy.com/