[lug] Adjusting color balance

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Fri Feb 20 02:01:38 MST 2004

Elyse M. Grasso wrote:

> Is there a way to globally adjust the color balance of a monitor in X
> windows,
> instead of having to adjust each individual image  and/or application?
> For
> some reason reds are weak on my laptop when it is booted into Linux.
> This is
> annoying when viewing DVDs and images, and doing color layouts.
>
> It might just be a pallete selection problem , but I'm not sure how to
> attack
> that either.
>
>  (I'm running KRUD 9 and KDE).
>
> Windows seems less unbalanced, on the rare occasions when I boot into it.
>
> Are there good sample color wheels or other standard images I could
> use when
> trying to diagnose and tweak things?

I think the answer will be dependent upon the particular video card and
drivers. I say this because I expect it to be an XF86Config option that
is implemented only if the driver authors decided to add it. The option
is "gamma". Gamma correction can come in several flavors, one being just
plain old gamma that is uniform across all colors; optionally some
driver implementors might make available a separate gamma for each of
the primary colors.

An uncorrected gamma is 1.0; a gamma to brighten intermediate intensity
colors is any gamma over 1.0. Gamma is designed to correct for the
difference between monitor brightness at various intensities over a
range of full dark to full light, having the most effect between full
dark and full light, and gradually tapering off to have no effect on
pure dark or pure light. If you used something to simply boost
brightness across all intensities, then lighter colors would bleach out
and lose contrast; if you darkened across the whole range of
intensities, then the darker colors would go completely black and no
contrast would be visible. Gamma does not bleach out whiter colors, nor
does it darken darker colors into oblivion. I'd suggest finding the X11
driver docs for your video card driver, and hunting for gamma.

On the other hand, if you give your video card type info to the LUG
list, perhaps someone here already knows what gamma settings are
available, and can tell you exactly what line to add to XF86config.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net