[lug] psuedo OT: advice on learning clusters

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sat Feb 21 11:29:48 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 12:25, Hugh Brown wrote:
> My company bought a 128 processor linux cluster a while back which has
> idled due to resource constraints.  I'm a fair linux admin w/ not much
> programming background or cluster experience.  I'm curious to know if
> there are some standard starting points (e.g. definitive guide for
> parallel computing) for developing proficiency in both administrating a
> cluster and using it as well.
>
> I guess I'm asking what the right/preferred manuals are so I can RTM.

Hi Hugh,

It really depends on what you're going to do with the cluster.  We use
our clusters for computational work and the preferred tools are OpenPBS,
MPI, etc.  We're currently getting into "grid" technologies such as
globus and condor-g for our "next-gen" cluster system which is under
construction:

  http://mitgcm.org/projects/ACES/about.htm
  http://mitgcm.org/

But if you intend to use your cluster for other things (eg. databases)
then the tools mentioned above are more-or-less irrelevant.

So what are your applications?

Ed

Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
            Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com