[lug] OT power line communication

Paul E Condon pecondon at peakpeak.com
Mon Feb 23 20:09:51 MST 2004

On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 06:49:01PM -0700, Timothy C. Klein wrote:
> * Paul E Condon (pecondon at peakpeak.com) wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:37:43PM +0000, BOF wrote:
> > HF is 3 to 30 MHz. VHF is 30 to 300MHz. Are you aware of any technical
> > reason why new developments might make use of these frequencies on
> > open wires possible? Is this *really* what the FCC is proposing to
> > test? And not really much bandwidth anyway. It sounds crazy. Unless,
> > of course, it will screw more Democrats than Republicans. (Not likely.
> > The same laws of physics apply. But who knows what they think.)
> >
> > --
> > Paul E Condon
> > pecondon at peakpeak.com
>
> Perhaps 3 to 300 MHz is easy to generate?  I suspect the noise they will

Well yes, it is easy to generate signals in this range of
frequency. The AM broadcast band is from .5MHz to 1.5MHz. The FM
broadcast band is from 88MHz to 108MHz. The vast majority of shortwave
radios, as used by the military are in this frequency range. All manner
of stuff uses this range because just about any open wire acts as a nice
antenna for both transmission and reception.

> spew forth with BPL is ignored for two reasons:  relatively localized,
> thus no large business interests will be immediately harmed.  The

I wonder about no immediate harm. There used to be people at NIST who
were on top of this technology. Are they still there? Do any of them
read this list? What's going on with this BPL stuff? Hopefully its
much more sophisticated than as described here.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at peakpeak.com