[lug] Connection problems from Europe

Jeff Schroeder jeff at neobox.net
Thu Mar 11 10:34:55 MST 2004

John wrote:

> Despite the traceroute failure (which may be misleading), it might be
> a good idea to somehow verify that you're not getting the packets on
> your outside interface before asking WilTel about it.

Heh, yeah, I always assume it's my fault before I go and scream at
someone else. :)

The outside interface is an aliased IP address on the firewall.  The
"main" (eth0) address is 204.144.129.190, and then I have various
aliases to support the clients I host-- in this case, one of the
aliases is 204.144.129.166.

Connections to the .190 address work fine, as do connections to several
others on the subnet.  But .166 fails, with the routing information I
gave previously.  Thus, it seems the packets can get to the firewall--
and then to the web server-- without any problem, but in the case of
pesky .166 (and a few others) they never get to the firewall at all.

It's all very strange, and something I haven't seen before.  I don't
really know what to debug-- I feel like I'm shooting in the dark. :)

Thanks for the suggestions; I'll keep plugging at it.

Jeff