[lug] tcpdump, routing, ppp, and cable modem questions(s)

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Mon Mar 15 13:25:59 MST 2004

Here is what I understand about Comcast Digital Cable Modems

1)	Your Digital Cable box and Modem all receive Ips.
2)	The IP Addresses assigned to the modem, and to your cable box
are not relevant to your PC. They are used for management only.
3)	The PC should use DHCP via the cable modem to receive an IP
Address.

In essence, the cable modem acts like a router with Two NICS, one for
management, and one for your PC to connect to in BridgeMode.

I have a box running RH 9 that has worked flawlessly for about 6 months.
I did do the initial setup with a machine running WinXP, but once that
was done I plugged in the Linux machine.

Personally, you can by broadband routers/modems from CompUSA for about
$10.00 after rebates. Unless you have a pressing need, get one of these
and use it.