[lug] cp problem

Garett Shulman shulmang at colorado.edu
Tue Mar 23 21:56:55 MST 2004

Hello, I am having a problem with cp and was wondering if anyone had any
suggestions.

when I try to cp an mpg from an ntfs partition to an ext2 partition I
get an input/output error reading the file and the cp stops for that
file. I have successfully copied files from ntfs partitions on this
machine before. Also, mplayer can play the mpg from the ntfs partition
without noticable problem. There may be filesystem corruption on the
patition, or the drive may be having problems. I may just put the drive
into a win2k machine and run chkdsk on it. Are there any cp options, or
utilities that might be usefull in getting this copied? I guess I
wouldn't even mind if the file where copied with errors, but completely.
Are there any utilities that might be usefull if this problem where
occuring on a partition that linux can modify like ext2?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
-Garett