[lug] cp problem

Bill Gjestvang bill at uncultured.org
Tue Mar 23 22:20:08 MST 2004

What's the exact error?

Make sure you have enough space on the drive: "df -h", make sure it's not
close to 100% usage, that you have enough "Avail"able space.  You might
also check that you have free inodes with "df -i".
To force file system checks of the Linux partitions, you need to unmount
the partitions or at least mount them read only.  2 options:(1) Boot to single user mode ("init 1", or however you want), unmount
everything except the root filesystem, and then remount the root
filesystem read-only ("mount -o ro,remount /").(2) Boot to a rescue cd

Then run "fsck -f" on whatever Linux partitions you want (e.g. "fsck -f
/dev/hda3").  You could just go down the line and check them all.  The
"-f" is because fsck won't normally check the filesystem unless it's not
marked as clean (i.e. it wasn't unmounted properly).
Hope this helps.

-Bill Gjestvang