[lug] tcpdump dumper?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Mar 31 18:30:39 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 18:06, Bear Giles wrote:
> Zan Lynx wrote:
> > tethereal can read saved data files just fine.  I thought that's what
> > you wanted?
>
> I thought ethereal used its own format... nebbermind. :-)
>
> That said, I'm getting "IRC Request" and "IRC Response" headers
> but it's still an ugly hex dump with complete headers.  I would
> prefer something that drops the headers and just shows the
> content.  E.g., if I had a dump of an http session I might get
> something like
>
>  > GET /
> < <html>
> < <head>
> < ...
>
> instead of 4(?) hex lines of headers and then a hex dump then
>
> < h t m l >\r\n < h
> e a d >\r\n < t i t

Here is what I get.  Use the -V option for full protocol decode.  You
will probably need some perl or awk to cut it down for you later.

# tethereal -V -f 'port 6667'
[snip much junk]
Internet Relay Chat
    Request Line: PRIVMSG #fest :I'll show you a sample in just a sec.

--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>