[lug] Various Boot Problems

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Fri Apr 9 07:57:44 MDT 2004

I just rebuilt my machine with a P4, Intel D865PERL mobo and a SATA
drive.  I then installed Debian sarge (which comes with a 2.4.25 kernel)
without a hitch.  However, I'm running into many problems upgrading to
2.6.4.

I built the kernel by installing the Debian source package.  When all
was said and done, I had a RAM disk image, to which I pointed GRUB.
When I install the kernel using dpkg, it runs update-grub, which fails
with the following message:

	/dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 does not have any corresponding BIOS drive

This appears to be the logical device representing my root partition.
I've never seen this representation before--I would have expected it to
complain about /dev/hde2 (which now is just a symlink).  Can someone tell
me where it came from?

After some googling, I found someone who had come across the same
problem.  The suggestion was to modify /boot/grub/device.map to point
(hd0) to /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc instead of /dev/hde (they
said GRUB doesn't like symlinks).  This doesn't seem to have made a
difference in my case.  I also tried grub-install, and it gives the same
error message about /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/disc.

I tried LILO, adding the RAM disk image to lilo.conf (not sure why the
lilo config utility didn't pick it up--it did for the stock kernel).
When I try to boot, it appears to pick up my SATA controller as a SCSI
controller (I can find no indication that the stock kernel does this),
but then it panics.  Here is some of the messages I get:

	scsi0: ata_piix
		(something about no drives detected)
	scsi1: ata_piix
		(accurate info about my SATA drive)

	mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device
	mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device
	mount: /dev2/root2 is not a valid block device
	mount: you must specify file system type
	mount: mount point dev does not exist
	pivot_root: No such file or directory
	/sbin/init: 347: cannot open dev/console: No such file
	Kernel panic: Attempted to kill init!

Any ideas as to what I've done wrong?

Thanks,
Dhruva