[lug] Linux email server recommendations

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sat Apr 10 01:28:12 MDT 2004

On Apr 9, 2004, at 5:03 PM, Michael Belanger wrote:

> Agreed.. But here are the reasons this wont fly...
>
> 1.  We are a grant-based project. We just don't have the resources to
> farm out services like this.

Fair enough.  I still think it might be cheaper than you think to have
someone else deal with it completely, long-term.

> 2.  Due to the sensitivity of the data being stored on the server,
> we just don't feel comfortable having them on a system on which we
> cannot guarantee privacy.

And this leads back to #1.  As a professional sysadmin for many years,
I have a hard time taking this statement very seriously.  If there's
one thing SMTP can never ever = it's Privacy.

And running anything sensitive on any network on RedHat 7.1 shows a
basic lack of understanding of networked system security.  Or a number
of years of neglect, and you're picking up the pieces.

You can probably get some good ideas from both hobbyist and
professional admins on a mailing list like BLUG, but once you mention
the system contains sensitive data and you're running multiple services
on the same machine, using an OS that's highly outdated and full of
security holes, and that you don't have a budget to match -- it starts
to get pretty tricky.

Luckily, Free Software gives you both a great opportunity to fix the
massive design problems that are already apparent and also to do it
yourself.  Your biggest problem right now is the Alpha, and you're
fixing that at least.

Here's the beginning of a requirements list that will easily narrow
down your choices in what to use:

- Must run on your IBM hardware.  (You apparently already have the
hardware.)
- Must be Free. (You apparently have zero budget.)
- Must have highly-automated package and patch management because
you're not doing it anyway if you're on RH 7.1. (Only a very few Linux
systems really do this well.)
- Must have reasonably sane installer, because you're not going to want
to waste much time on getting the system up and running. (Again, limits
options drastically -- most Linux installers are not as user-friendly
as they can/should be.)

The next few are tricky -- you said it's both a mail server and a file
server... that's a really bad combination for sensitive data.
Especially if you're stating that the mail server has a public IP
address!

- Must support encrypted mail transport. (If you're not already doing
this, your reasoning for #2 above goes completely out the window.)
- Must support encrypted filesystems or reasonably "simple" way for
others to access encrypted files.  (Assuming this thing has a public
address and is also a file server, encrypting the data stored on it is
the only way to assure the privacy level you're alluding to.)

And finally the most important one:

- Use something you enjoy.  If admin is not your primary job function,
you'll ALWAYS admin something you like better than something you don't.

So... with that in mind... and since you mentioned it already, SuSE's
server probably fits all of the above, nicely.  And you're already
leaning toward it.

Tummy.com's KRUD server with an update subscription and their mail
server work they've done on qmail would probably be a very viable
solution too.  (And even less admin for you.)  I have no idea on their
prices, but given that SuSE's product isn't exactly cheap -- it seems
like there's at least SOME budget there to spend on this project.

Personally, if I were you and I wanted to spend my time doing serious
coding, I'd lean towards finding some professional help if you really
want the system to be a "no-brainer"... the latter option would do
that.  The former is a complete roll-your-own, beyond the mail server
functionality, and it sounds like you have some security considerations
that really should get more than just a passive look.

A "second-opinion" from a professional admin is probably not a bad idea
at all if you really have sensitive data on the machine.  (I'd almost
say that in NOT getting some professional help on a critical machine
that also contains sensitive data, whoever's responsible for the data
might be downright negligent.)

Not a whole lot else really fits nicely in your requirements, and you
seem to have some hugely conflicting goals -- data security and as few
brain cycles spent on the solution is a very difficult mix.

If you're more comfortable with your risk-assessment than I currently
am (GRIN), you can't be too far wrong in going with SuSE.  It's a
well-known, highly-used distro, with a good track record for quality.

 From a systems-engineering/sysadmin standpoint, is sure seems there are
other factors involved that only a pro with either experience in
setting up your type of system, or a more concentrated effort towards
engineering practices on your part, will provide.  If you can't or
won't come up with a better requirements list than "mail server, easy
to admin, must be secure", you really should consider finding someone
who can help create a better one... and then design your system to meet
the requirements.  That level of requirements should never be seen
below the Marketing Department/Magazine Advertisement level.

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com