[lug] Re: Scanners, multi function devices

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sat Apr 10 14:45:22 MDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 01, 2004 at 07:39:11AM -0700,  wrote:
>While we're discussing it, are there any multifunction
>devices, scanner-printer-fax-photocopy, that work
>well with Linux?

Several months ago we were looking for a multi-function device to
replace our cheapo fax machine.  I looked at the HPs, but in the end we
got a Brother 3280CN.  It's a scanner, fax, printer, with memory card
slots and ethernet connection, for under $200.  Yes, the whole device
was less expensive than HP wants for the dongle to allow their $400 to
$600 all-in-one devices to be connected to the Ethernet.

I really like that you can "scan to e-mail".  It's like sending a fax,
but instead of entering a phone number, you enter an e-mail address.
The box then sends you the scan results as a .jpg attachment.

I haven't really tried hard to get it to print under Linux, but
apprently it can be used:

   http://russnelson.com/Brother-MFC-3820CN.html

I've also had problems printing anything but the index pages using the
"memory media" slots in the front.  This happened not only on our unit,
but also the demo unit at the store.  Clearly, there's something we just
don't understand about using it that way.

Sean
--
 Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean
 it's useless.  -- T. Edison