[lug] Fedora Core 1 boot problems

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Wed Apr 14 22:41:58 MDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-04-14 at 15:34, Elyse M. Grasso wrote:
> I recently upgraded my laptop from KRUD/Redhat 9 to KRUD Fedora core and I am
> having a couple of annoying problems. Kernel  is 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
>
> 1.  This machine has no floppy drive, and the boot messages do a lot of
> whining about it. Why is it looking for software modules it doesn't need?
> Is there an easy way to tell it not to do all of the floppy checking on boot?
>
> 2. The modules.conf which has been happily setting up the alsa sound drivers
> for months is apparently no longer adequate. I have tried rebuilding the
> drivers I had, and also downloading the latest alsa drivers and neither seems
> to work. Is there a specific version of alsa that is needed with Fedora Core
> 1? Is there some different magic needed in the modules.conf?
>
> Any hints or suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

Hi Elyse,

I have no idea if this is a related fix but I had all sorts of Fedora
boot problems (inc. a kernel panic mentioning the floppy driver) that
were triggered by the kudzu hardware probing/detection.  Turning off
kudzu made everything boot nicely.

Good luck...!

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com