[lug] Fedora Core 1 boot problems

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Apr 15 01:56:22 MDT 2004

On Apr 14, 2004, at 10:41 PM, Ed Hill wrote:
> I have no idea if this is a related fix but I had all sorts of Fedora
> boot problems (inc. a kernel panic mentioning the floppy driver) that
> were triggered by the kudzu hardware probing/detection.  Turning off
> kudzu made everything boot nicely.

I get spews of major/minor node numbers "not found" now during boot on
a box I had to use Fedora Core 1 on for a project.  It's done it since
day one of a fresh load, so it's a bug in Kudzu now somewhere... It
takes forever to boot because it's too busy spewing text during the
auto-hardware-detection process.

I'm looking forward to seeing if Core 2's quality level heads further
in the downward direction, or back upward.  It'll be a good index as to
what Core 3 will bring.

Core 1 also has some binaries compiled with some very strange options
-- aumix compiled with GPM support for example, so on headless machines
doing audio server work without a mouse, aumix barfs all over the
screen every time it's launched saying that it's unhappy it can't find
GPM.  Weirdness like that is not nice.

(Of course there are workarounds, but who wants workarounds when the
previous version worked right?  GRIN... Surprisingly, Ctrl-L repaints
the screen in aumix when this happens, so I guess the aumix guys are vi
users, eh?  Heh...)

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com